Deadline: 31 July (annual)
Study in: Germany
Next course starts Sept/Oct 2020
The DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme Masters Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance Programme offers very good graduates from developing countries the chance to obtain a Master’s degree in disciplines that are of special relevance for the social, political and economic development of their home country at German institutions of higher education.
Participating Programmes in Host Institutions:
The scholarships are awarded for selected Master courses at German institutions of higher education listed below:
• Hertie School of Governance, Berlin: Master of Public Policy (MPP)
• University of Duisburg-Essen: MA Development and Governance
• Willy Brandt School of Public Policy at the University of Erfurt: Master of Public Policy (MPP)
• Leuphana University of Lüneburg: Public Economics, Law and Politics (PELP)
• Hochschule Osnabrück: Management in Non-Profit Organisations
• University of Osnabrück: Master of Democratic Governance and Civil Society
• University of Passau: Master of Governance and Public Policy
• University of Potsdam: Master of Public Management (MPM)
The courses have an international orientation and are taught in German and/or English.
Number of Scholarships:
The scholarship scheme is open to candidates from Africa, Latin America, North/Central America, South Asia, Southeast Asia as well as from countries in the Middle East. See list of eligible countries.
DAAD scholarship holders within the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme are exempted from tuition fees. DAAD pays a monthly scholarship rate of currently 850 €. The scholarship also includes contributions to health insurance in Germany, appropriate travel allowance, a study and research subsidy as well as rent subsidies and/or allowances for spouses and/or children where applicable.
Prior to their study programmes, all scholarship holders receive a 6- months-German language course from April 2020 to September 2020.
The scholarship targets very well qualified graduates with a first university degree (Bachelor or equivalent) who in the future want to actively contribute to the social and economic development of their home countries. The scholarships are offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals.
The main DAAD criteria for selection are: the study results, knowledge of English (and German), political and social engagement, a convincing description of the subject-related and personal motivation for the study project in Germany and the expected benefit after the return to the home country.
The latest university degree should have been obtained during the six years prior to the application for the scholarship. Applicants cannot be considered if they have stayed in Germany for more than 15 months at the time of application.
All Master courses have further additional requirements that must be fulfilled by the applicants at any case.
Please submit your applications for the selected master`s courses and for the DAAD scholarship to the respective universities only (not to DAAD). You must indicate that you are applying for the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Programme (Master’s scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance). The application period at all 8 universities lasts from 1 June – 31 July 2020
It is important to read the 2020 Announcement and visit the official website (found below) to access the application form and for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website for DAAD Masters Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance click here
- University of West London Ambassador Scholarship
- Humanitarian Health Scholarships At Johns Hopkins University|Masters Degree
- Hubert Humphrey Fellowships for International Students
- Stockholm School of Economics International Scholarship 2020
- Monash University International Scholarship For Post-graduate Students